July 9, 2021
Greetings in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ,
Our first Distribution Hymn for this past Sunday, The Fifth Sunday after Trinity, was “Blest Be the Tie that Binds.” TLH 464“This is a hymn that celebrates the oneness of the Body of Christ, unity that comes only through Baptism into the death and resurrection of our Lord. Christian love is that which emanates from the love of the Father (I John 4:19). Such love allows people to share burdens and woes and to sympathize with one another in difficult times, as even Jesus did (John 11:35). Such love of the neighbor is a God-pleasing work: ‘Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity!’ (Psalm 133:1).
It is also a hymn that gives comfort when pathways part for whatever reason, including death. Although loved ones will be sorely missed, believers maintain the eschatological hope of reunion in the life to come (I Thessalonians 4:13-18), when we shall be free from all sorrow, toil, and pain.” LSB Companion to the Hymns1. Blest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love;The fellowship of kindred minds is like to that above.
2. Before our Father’s throne we pour our ardent prayers;Our fears, our hopes, our aims, are one, our comforts and our cares.
3. We share our mutual woes. Our mutual burdens bear,And often for each other flows the sympathizing tear.
4. When here our pathways part, we suffer bitter pain;Yet, one in Christ and one in heart, we hope to meet again.
5. This glorious hope revives our courage by the way,While each in expectation lives and longs to see the day.
6. From sorrow, toil, and pain, and sin we shall be freeAnd perfect love and friendship reign through all eternity.
God’s peace,Trudy J. SchmalzDirector of Music
July 9, 2021